Changing Your Immigration Status: Options and Requirements

As an immigrant in the U.S., you may need to change your nonimmigrant status at some point. Whether it’s to extend your stay, change your employer, or change your visa category, the process can be complex and time-consuming. However, with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer, you can navigate this process smoothly and avoid any potential issues. This post will discuss the different options and requirements for changing your immigration status.

Option 1: Extension of Stay

If you’re in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa, you may be able to extend your stay by filing an application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To be eligible for an extension of stay, you must have maintained your nonimmigrant status and not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible.

Option 2: Change of Employer

If you’re already in the U.S. on a work visa and you want to change your employer, you’ll need to file a new petition with USCIS. This process is similar to the initial petition, but you must provide evidence that you’ve maintained your nonimmigrant status and that your new employer has a legitimate job offer for you.

Option 3: Change of Visa Category

If you want to change your visa category, you’ll need to file a new petition with USCIS. For example, if you’re in the U.S. on a student visa and want to switch to a work visa, you’ll need to file a new petition. The requirements for the new visa category must be met, and you must demonstrate that you have not violated the terms of your current visa.

Option 4: Adjustment of Status

If you’re in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa and want to become a permanent resident, you may be eligible for adjustment of status. This process allows you to apply for a Green Card without leaving the country. However, you must meet certain eligibility requirements, such as having an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen or being sponsored by an employer.

Requirements for Changing Your Immigration Status

To be eligible for any of the options discussed above, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements may vary depending on the specific option you choose, but some of the common requirements include:

  • Maintaining your nonimmigrant status
  • Not violating any immigration laws
  • Meeting the eligibility requirements for the new visa category
  • Submitting a complete and accurate application
  • Paying the required fees
  • Attending any necessary interviews or appointments
  • Demonstrating that you have strong ties to your home country and that you do not intend to immigrate permanently to the U.S.

The Help You Need: The Services of Tourzani & Long, LLC

Changing your immigration status can be a complex process that requires careful attention to detail and knowledge of the immigration laws and procedures. At Tourzani & Long, LLC, we understand the challenges that immigrants face when trying to navigate the U.S. immigration system. Our experienced immigration lawyers can guide you through the process of changing your immigration status, help you choose the best option for your situation, and ensure that your application is complete and accurate. Contact Tourzani & Long, LLC at (201) 987-0036 to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you achieve your immigration goals.

Tourzani & Long, LLC targets North Bergen, Jersey City, Newark, Passaic, Paterson, and the surrounding New Jersey communities.