Fiancé Visa Process: Everything You Need to Know

If you are engaged to a non-U.S. citizen and plan to get married in the United States, you may want to consider the fiancé visa process. The K-1 fiancé visa allows your partner to enter the U.S. and stay for 90 days, during which time you must get married. Once you’re married, your spouse can apply for a green card to stay in the U.S. permanently.

Eligibility for a Fiancé Visa

To be eligible for a fiancé visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen
  • You and your fiancé must be legally free to marry
  • You must have met in person at least once within the past two years
  • You must be able to financially support your fiancé while they are in the U.S.

Filing the Petition

To begin the fiancé visa process, you’ll need to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You’ll need to provide documentation to prove your eligibility, including proof of your U.S. citizenship, proof of your fiancé’s identity, and evidence of your relationship.

Consular Processing

Once your petition is approved, it will be forwarded to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your fiancé’s home country for consular processing. Your fiancé will need to attend an interview at the embassy or consulate, during which they will need to provide additional documentation to prove eligibility for the fiancé visa.

Entering the U.S.

If the fiancé visa is approved, your fiancé will be allowed to enter the U.S. and stay for 90 days. You must get married within this 90-day period, or your fiancé will need to leave the country.

Adjusting Status

After you get married, your spouse can apply for a green card to stay in the U.S. permanently. This process is known as adjusting status, and it involves filing a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

The Help You Need

The fiancé visa process can be complex, and it’s important to have a qualified immigration attorney guide you through the process. At Tourzani & Long, LLC, our experienced attorneys have helped countless clients successfully navigate the fiancé visa process and achieve their immigration goals. Contact us at (201) 987-0036 to learn more about our immigration services.

Tourzani & Long, LLC targets North Bergen, Jersey City, Newark, Passaic, Paterson, and the surrounding New Jersey communities.