Could You Benefit from a Section 245(i) Adjustment of Status?

Section 245(i) Adjustment of Status is an immigration process that permits unauthorized immigrants to become permanent residents in the United States without leaving the country.

As a general rule, illegal immigrants are not eligible to apply for lawful permanent residency in the U. S. through adjustment of status. As a result, many unauthorized immigrants in the United States have limited prospects for legalization.

Anyone unlawfully entering the United States and remaining for more than 180 or 360 days is prohibited from returning for 3 or 10 years. Being apart from one’s loved ones can be devastating to families in this scenario.

However, Rule 245(i) is an exception to the general rule that immigrants who arrived without inspection cannot utilize the adjustment of status process. You may be able to modify your status to that of a permanent resident without leaving the United States if you entered the country without authorization, and an immigrant visa petition was submitted for you on or before April 30, 2011.

Who is Eligible for a Section 245(i) Adjustment of Status?

If any of the following apply to you, it is recommended that you seek the advice of a skilled immigration attorney for a case examination and to determine if you qualify for adjustment of status:

  • You must have been physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000
  • You must have been in unlawful status on December 21, 2000
  • You must have had an application for immigration approval or been lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence before April 30, 2001
  • You must be the beneficiary of an approved Immigrant Petition (I-130 or I-140) filed on or before April 30, 2001
  • You must pay a $1,000 fine (plus any fees related to your application)

How Can You Benefit From a 245(i) Adjustment?

If you are eligible for the 245(i) adjustment, there are many possible benefits, including:

  • A pathway to citizenship. This process can take many years, but it offers a path to citizenship not available to most immigrants.
  • Eligibility to work in the United States
  • The ability to travel outside of the United States without fear of being deported

Contact Tourzani & Long, LLC to Explore a Section 245(i) Adjustment of Status

If you may be eligible for a 245(i) adjustment, the experienced attorneys at Tourzani & Long, LLC can help you with the application and will work on your behalf throughout the entire process. By working with a skilled immigration lawyer, you can feel confident that all essentials will be handled to successfully acquire your 245(i) adjustment. Call us now at (201) 987-0036 to set up a consultation.

Tourzani & Long, LLC – we proudly service New Jersey and New York.